tl;dr: Argan oil is the shit, y’all.
I’ve recently come into possession of a bunch of hair masks, and I thought I would do a trial and see which ones are best for dry, frizzy hair like mine. My hair is naturally curly, which means of course, that I wish I had straight hair. Its some sort of law of the universe about these things.
The masks I have tried so far are:
- Amika Soulfood Nourishing Mask: This one has a really nice smell. Probably my favorite in that regard. However, I would say it was moderate at best with my hair. It made it a little softer, but the deep nourishing feel that I get with other masks was not there. I would give this one maybe 2/5 stars.
- Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair!: This mask really did nothing for my hair. I was really surprised by this, because I SWEAR by their Curl Charisma cream. That line is by far the best cream ever for my hair in terms of being able to leave it down and not look like i’ve fought with a light socket and lost. However, this mask did nothing for my hair. I have basic conditioners that leave my hair in better shape. I would avoid this one for my type of hair. 1/5 stars.
- VERB Hydrating Mask: This one was moderately good for my hair. The scent is fairly light, as is the mask. It was fairly good at getting my hair to soften and detangle, so its a solid mask. However, I have had better experiences with other ones that give my type of hair a more deep conditioned, deeply hydrated feeling. This one is like 3/5 stars.
- Fekkai PrX Reparatives Intense Fortifying Mask: This one was really amazing. It made my hair immediately detangled, and once the mask was washed out, my hair felt bouncier and more hydrated. I note that there is argan extract in this one. For days, my hair was much less frizzy and felt healthy and soft. 4/5 stars. Cost on this one is $25.00.
- Moroccan Gold Series Treatment Mask. This one is my favorite. It is made with argan oil and keratin, and seems to provide the best treatment for my hair. It leaves it immediately silky soft and detangled, and the frizz goes WAY down. I got this in my winter 2018 FabFitFun box, and I am hooked. The downside? This one is $49.00. It can be found more reasonably on various secondary market sites. So far, this is the best mask that I have found, and I adore it. 5/5 stars!
Despite my adoration of the Moroccan Gold mask, if cost is an issue, the Fekkai one is very close in terms of results, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone with hair that is dry and frizzy. I also treat my hair with argan oil (specifically moroccan oil, but that’s another post!)
I’ve got a few more masks the try- check back for more updates!